Why do Dogs/Cats need Dental Scaling ?
A veterinary dental cleaning always begins with an initial oral exam of your dog or cat’s mouth by a veterinarian. This allows the veterinarian not only to get a general idea of your pet’s dental condition, but also offers you the opportunity to ask questions and to get good advice for home care that can benefit your pet.
A professional dental cleaning removes the visible plaque and tartar on the teeth surfaces. This eliminates potential sources of infection to the mouth and other organs and protects your pet from pain,tooth loss and gingivitis etc.
A thorough dental cleaning can be accomplished only while the pet is under general anesthesia. Anesthesia keeps your pet free of pain during the dental procedure and allows your veterinarian to fully inspect the teeth and remove tartar from under the gums. During anesthesia, a soft plastic tube is inserted into the trachea (the main airway in the throat) to support the patient’s breathing. Placement of the tracheal tube also prevents inhalation of bacteria that are aerosolized during the dental cleaning.
ADVANTAGES OF DENTAL SCALING :
- Removal of visible plaque and tartar from the teeth
- Elimination of plaque and tartar from under the gumRemoval or repair of fractured or infected teeth
- Probing of dental sockets to assess dental disease
- Dental radiographs (X-rays) to evaluate problems below the gum line
- Dental charting so progression of dental disease can be monitored over time
- Inspection of the lips, tongue, and entire mouth for growths, wounds, or other problems.